Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus - Review

Hey plamo nerds! While doing the review on the Evolution, I realized I was never able to share a performance review on the Infinity since the unboxing! I've had the Infinity for nearly a year now, and I was able to put it through it's paces painting both the Kitsune and Kimaris Trooper. If you'd like to know what comes in the package, you can jump to the unboxing post here:

Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR+ Unboxing

Today we'll be going over performance notes on this truly fine piece of equipment, and maybe I can help you decide whether the Infinity is worth the premium price. As always, there's a video showing the airbrush in action. Jump in!




Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...


Just to reiterate, this is the Infinity CR plus model, which comes with a triple chrome hypo-allergenic coating. I've never had a skin reaction to my other standard nickel chromed airbrushes, so I can't really say if the treatment is effective, but it definitely gives the piece a premium feel. Next to the Grafo, the CR+ appears to have a whiter chrome finish, while the standard chrome seems yellowish in comparison.




The matte anodized red of the handle is a sexy contrast to all the chrome and gold accents. The Infinity feels very comfortable in the hand, but you will notice it is slightly nose-heavy compared to the Grafo, which is only natural because the Infinity has the larger, detachable cup. As I usually paint at a slightly downwards angle anyway, the forward leaning center of gravity doesn't bother me at all, nor does it affect my grip.




Being used to the extended trigger of the Badger Krome however, I felt the Infinity trigger could use some tweaking to better suit my grip style. I like to roll my fingertip on the trigger button rather than just pull it straight back, and the thin front edge on the Infinity's button tends to dig into my fingertip. I addressed this with some Sugru molded onto the trigger to increase height and comfort. I've applied a similar mod to my other airbrushes, and it really does reduce fatigue on my fingertip.




The two-pronged cap is my favorite needle cap design on an airbrush because it gives just the right amount of protection (you can get in close and not worry too much about stabbing the needle against your subject) and makes it easy to detect and clean off tip-dry. The slip-on design of the Infinity's needle cap is a welcome feature. The lack of threads between the needle cap and air cap make them easier to clean.





Performance-wise, compared to all the other airbrushes I've tried, the Infinity is as good as it gets.  Once you find that sweet spot between your paint viscosity and air pressure, it atomizes the paint exceptionally well. Trigger response is instant and predictable, and the ability to adjust the spring tension is a great addition to the Evolution design. There is no lateral play on the trigger, so pulling back feels the same every time - as opposed to traditional trigger mechanisms with a free floating rocker, you can expect consistency with how the needle responds. The 0.15 needle is perfect for doing fine lines, tight preshading and precise highlighting.




The long and linear taper on the needle, combined with a long pull-back action on the trigger provides very good control of the spray pattern. Even using the .4 needle I am able to produce the finest lines my hand is capable of, and I'm sure it can do even finer lines in a more experienced hand. Coverage and base coating is where the 0.4mm tip shines, demonstrating excellent atomization whether using pre-thinned or custom mixed paints, and it's great for blending and fade effects.




Here's a video showing the Infinity CR+ in action:


I use lacquer paints in the Infinity, and for cleaning I've used industrial grade acrylic and lacquer thinner with good results and no discoloration of the internals. The nozzle and cup seals are still in great shape after a year's use. Between colors I just flush the airbrush several times, scrub the paint cup with a soft paintbrush and then wipe the tip and cup clean.




After every session I take off the air cap and nozzle, pull the needle out from the front end to avoid getting paint in trigger area, and soak them in lacquer thinner for a few minutes before wiping them clean on a paper towel. I use interdental brushes or twisted paper towel to scrub inside of the nozzle. I haven't had any issues using this airbrush since I got it, and have found no need to disassemble it completely. It may seem strange that I give so much importance to ease of cleaning in my reviews, but I believe this is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing an airbrush. Easy tear-down and cleanup means you perform these tasks properly every time, without getting lazy about it or worrying something might break.




Since the Infinity shares the same needle and nozzle as the Evolution, Grafo and Ultra models, these parts are interchangeable with those models. There are .15, .2, .4 and .6 needle / nozzle setups available. These are sold as replacement kits composed of the needle, nozzle, air cap and needle cap - and you can also buy the parts individually.



If you're wishing the Infinity had a MAC valve, Harder & Steenbeck offers a replacement air valve with a micro air control feature built in. It's more ergonomic and practical than the traditional knob-beneath-the-paint-cup design that loves to collect paint, or the bulky air hose attachment version. H&S offers the widest assortment of accessories for their tools, from hoses to airbrush holders and cleaning kits.




After using the Infinity for a year, I honestly feel it is worth every cent. The build quality, materials and excellent craftsmanship alone accounts for the price. Compared to Badger's utilitarian appeal, the Infinity is sophisticated and elegant. Many compare the Infinity to the Iwata Micron in terms of capabilities, but without a sample Micron nor the skill to produce the finest lines a top-tier airbrush can make, I could neither confirm nor deny that claim. What I do know is that the Infinity is around half the price of a Micron, and I believe only the most skilled artists would ever be able to justify an additional $300++ for a finer line than what the Infinity can produce. For about the same amount, you could purchase one (mall priced) Perfect Grade model, so if you are willing to pay that much for a kit you only get to build once - is the Infinity really expensive for a tool you would enjoy using again and again? I think not.





If you're interested in the H&S Infinity, look up Pub Hub Hobbies and Collectibles for Philippine orders, or click on the Amazon link below. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!



That's all for now, but check back again soon for the review on Harder & Steenbeck's most unique airbrush - the Colani! Until next time, keep building plamo!






No comments:

Post a Comment