Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Alexen Model Angle Scraper - Review

Hey plamo nerds! Did you enjoy the hobby file review I shared yesterday? There's more where that came from! Here's the second tool in my China sourced plamo lootbag - the elusive Alexen Model angle scraper! I saw this item for sale a long time ago in one of the plamo market groups I frequented, but it disappeared without a trace before I could even figure out what it was. As it turns out, it's a highly specialized beveling tool! I shared a guide on how to do freehand beveling (aka "chamfering") using a hobby knife a while back, but this tool takes the guesswork out of the task!



Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...




If you need a refresher on what beveling/chamfering is and what it is for, check out the tutorial here:

--->  Beveling Tutorial

Okay so now that we're all up to speed, let's take a look at the tool! This wallet-ninja-esque metal card is actually a multi-tool that lets you bevel corners into the exact width or angle you need.



Each section is marked to show the angle or width it creates, so you can achieve symmetrical beveling on all your parts. The left section has small, medium and large right angle scrapers, marked accordingly. If you've ever wanted to square out a rounded corner this thing will do the trick! The right side has different angles for making precise triangular edges, great for v-fin sharpening and such. The top has different widths for the standard 45 degree bevel, while the bottom has small trench digging scrapers.


To use, you simply drag the sharp edge of the metal card along the corner of the plastic you're reshaping over and over until you achieve the desired effect.



It seems like a trivial thing, but if you're trying to achieve beveling perfection and symmetry, this is the tool you're looking for. It's specifically designed for Gundam and military scale modeling where well-defined corners can make the armor look much more interesting.


My apologies for the lack of a demo video, but I'll upload one as soon as I get on a better WiFi connection. Like the Xiang Hobby Files, I'm offering this specialized tool on pre order to Philippine based modelers! Just send me a PM on facebook.com/budgetotaku so I can explain the details.


I've got one more thing to show you all before I start accepting orders on these rare and highly sought after tools, so drop by the blog again soon. Until next time, keep building plamo!




No comments:

Post a Comment