Thursday, November 15, 2012

To Hell and Back

It's been a while since my last post, but I'm back from my gunpla hiatus - a little later than expected, thanks to my brothers lending me their copy of Diablo 3.



I finished the game up to Hell difficulty, grinding a Wizard up to Paragon level 5...after that it felt pointless to finish Inferno. I tried teaming up with a buddy for some multiplayer farming, but it just got to the point where I was asking myself: where are the returns? I log out after a couple of hours of straight grinding, and I would feel empty - as if i'd lost those precious hours to oblivion, without anything to show for it. I wasn't always like this when it came to online gaming - i could farm for hours on end, and it gave me a sense of achievement to have my toon dressed in the best gear. Now it just feels silly.  I guess I just outgrew online gaming altogether. Gunpla is my poison now, and there is no going back!***

(***Except for Magic:the gathering - that game has the gravitational pull of a black hole. It will suck me back in the moment I smell a freshly opened booster pack.)

Click on the "Read More" link to see what else I've been up to!

I went to the recently concluded GBWC to see the work of fellow enthusiasts. To be honest there were less entries than I expected - but that can probably be attributed to the new ToysRUs-only rule rather than lack of interest in the event. As usual the prices of kits "on sale" were steep, and I purchased nothing. The quality of the entries were top notch and it seemed like size was the name of the game this year - as some of the entries were simply massive. I'd like to congratulate not only the winners but everyone who participated in the event. Expect my entry next year!

In the mean time, I'll be practicing the basics on some old backlogs, starting with this:





As one of the older releases of Hongli (made you cringe), this MG Unicorn is quite the challenge to put together. I'm not even halfway through and I've already encountered numerous fitting issues, but nothing that cement cannot fix. That said, I do wish I had saved up for a proper Bandai Unicorn instead, but this was an old purchase and I'd rather practice on it than sell it. I am semi-building this kit to see where everything goes and to check if I need to sand down the psychoframe prior to painting, so that it all fits snugly after the layers of paint are applied.

There will be no major modifications other than the shortening of the rifle to resemble a sub-machine gun.
I will be doing a bit of scribing on blank panels, maybe some pla-plating, a few rivets here and there, and waterslide decals to add detail.

here's what I had in mind for the color scheme:



I will not be putting up a detailed WIP of this project as it should be fairly straightforward, and I do not intend to share it on any gunpla forums due to the nature of it's authenticity (or lack thereof).

The cleaning and painting stages should provide good practice for my upcoming major project - a heavily customized MG FAZZ (Bandai). I already have the waterslide decals for the FAZZ from SamuelDecal (thanks to that generous donation i received!)



I only hope there is enough on the sheet for the entire model, which I expect will be the biggest one in my collection when it is done.




Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment