Thursday, May 10, 2018

Paasche Talon TG3F Review

Hey guys and gals, I just got back from my 3-month work trip in the US, and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. A fine layer of dust has settled on all my plamo equipment since I left, and my workbench is well overdue for spring cleaning - but I just couldn't wait to try out one of my newest toys - the Paasche Talon! I already did an unboxing of the Talon TG3F set a couple weeks back, so today we get to focus on performance. Jump in!




Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...

I think I shared enough photos of the set in the unboxing, so let's go straight to the video! 



Performance


As expected, the 0.25 tip was best for detail work at low psi spraying well-thinned paint. It was capable of very fine lines, not far from what I am able to achieve with the Badger Krome's 0.21 configuration. I maintained good control of the trigger, and the spray pattern was precise thanks to the long and gradual taper on the needle tip.

Switching to the 0.38 gave much better coverage and flow, and I noticed a decrease in tip dry, perhaps due to the paint I was using (GSI Acrylic). Fine lines are still possible but it took a lighter touch on the trigger and was slightly more difficult to keep consistent due to the steeper angle in the needle taper. This configuration is best suited to doing base coats and pre/post shade effects.




The 0.66 tip was naturally best for coverage, shooting out a high volume of paint with just a slight pull on the trigger. Opening the nozzle all the way lets you empty the cup in a matter of seconds, which makes this setup most suited to thicker paints such as primer and flaky metallics. Swapping out the round air cap for the fan cap makes the Talon spray more like an automotive spray gun - laying down a 2-inch wide spray pattern. This would be great for spraying larger pieces like Psycho Zaku fuel tanks, large aircraft models or ship hulls. 

Cleaning


The Talon's large nozzle size make for easy cleaning both of the nozzle itself and the airbrush body, with large passage ways that can accommodate pipe cleaners or cotton buds.  The size of the threads also make it less prone to stripping or breaking, unless you have gorilla hands and apply too much torque when tightening or loosening the nozzle. On the down side, the large threads translates to a less than airtight nozzle-to-body seal: easily addressed with a bit of beeswax or teflon tape. 



Summary


The Paasche Talon is one of the most versatile airbrush sets in the market today, and gives really good value for money with all the accessories that are included in the box. Build quality is more or less on par with Badger's Renegade Krome, though still a step behind Iwata standards. Performance of the 0.25 and 0.38 tips are impressive, but in my opinion the 0.66 fan cap configuration is this model's strongest feature, complemented by the larger cup size. I'll be keeping the fan cap setup on my Talon as it assumes broad work duty in my airbrush arsenal - where the Krome and Infinity still reign supreme in the detailing department.

(left to right: Paasche Talon, Badger Krome, H&S Infinity, Iwata Eclipse)


If you're interested in ordering the Talon TG3F, click on the Amazon link below. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!




That's all for now, stay tuned for more rants and reviews! Until next time, keep building plamo!




No comments:

Post a Comment