Friday, March 24, 2017

3M 7500 Half Mask - Review

After the success of the Boros project, I found lacquers to be much more agreeable than the acrylics I've been using. I'm not saying they're better in general, just that they seem to be easier to work with. The only problem is that they're much more toxic than water based acrylics, which is why I decided to upgrade my spray booth and painting mask. I've been using a very basic mask, and I felt like it wasn't up to scratch anymore as I could still smell the fumes while airbrushing lacquers. Luckily I found a good deal on a 3M 7502 half mask. Here are my initial thoughts on it, and there's a video review at the bottom as well.



Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...



The 7500 series is one of 3M's more expensive offerings, but it's got some of the best features you could look for in a painting mask. It's available in small, medium and large sizes, with model numbers 7501, 7502 and 7503 respectively. The resealable bag it came in contained the mask body, a pair of particulate filters with plastic holders, and a pair of organic vapor cartridges in a vacuum sealed pack.




 The particulate filters drop into the frosted plastic holders, which then snap over the organic cartridges. Once assembled, the filters attach to the mask body via bayonet type ports on each side. The mask is compatible with all of 3M's bayonet-type filters.



The 3M 7500 has a large exhaust vent diaphragm for relaxed breathing, and the downward facing exhaust port directs your breath away from your glasses or goggles so they don't fog up while you work. The parts are easy to detach and the mask body can be cleaned thoroughly with soap and water if needed.



The part that holds against your face is made of soft silicone rubber, which provides a good seal and feels comfortable, making it suitable for extended painting sessions. Weight is well distributed thanks to the adjustable elastic straps that go over the head and behind the neck.



I can't say much yet about performance and filter life, but I'll be putting this mask through the gauntlet in the coming months so stay tuned for updates on that. For now all I can tell you is that it definitely feels much more comfortable to wear than my old budget mask, and I can breathe much easier and don't smell any fumes even when I hold an open paint bottle right in front of my face.



 Here's a youtube video of the same review. Please excuse the skipping, I had to edit out some background noise.


Even if you paint outdoors or use milder paints, I still recommend wearing a good mask like this one to keep your lungs safe. I don't know about you boys and girls, but I plan on being healthy until retirement age when scale model building is considered a normal hobby!


Drop by Zee Hobby Shop if you're interested in getting this mask in the Philippines. Way I see it, you either pay now for a proper mask, or pay a fortune later in medical expenses because you didn't pay now. Do the math.



This item is also available on Amazon, just click on the Amazon ad link below. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!



Until next time, keep building plamo!




No comments:

Post a Comment